Mattel - Careers Careers
? HomeSearch openingsSearch resultsCurrent pageJob details
Job 1 of 1 Posting Title Sr Designer Requisition Number 162538 Location FP-New York City Zip Code 100105104 Job Category Design/Development Company WHO WE AREFisher-Price®, the most trusted name in quality toys, has been helping to make childhood special for generations. As one of the world’s leading manufacturers of babygear, infant and preschool toys, Fisher-Price believes deeply in the Power of Play as the way children learn best. In fact, it’s our guiding principle. Everything we do is designed to inspire a child’s development, and our employees are passionate about our work. We thrive in a friendly, fast-paced environment, where creativity and teamwork are at the core of our unique culture and we’re focusing on innovation in all we do to bring out the full potential of children around the world. So come play with us! At Mattel, our vision is Inspiring the Wonder of Childhood. We strive to achieve this vision primarily through our creative and enthusiastic employees who DARE to be innovative, and THRIVE in a friendly and fast-paced environment. Fisher-Price is committed to developing employees and supporting their career goals, helping them GROW with a host of meaningful experiences and learning opportunities. And by promoting a culture of BALANCE that emphasizes working passionately and taking time to play, we are proud of how our employees LEAD by example in all that they do! Job Description SENIOR PRODUCT DESIGNERWe are currently seeking a Senior Product Designer to work on licensed dolls, playsets, and girl orientedtoy products for our Fisher-Price Office in New York City.Your impact:
- Participate in brainstorms to identify toy concepts in line with FP strategies and Licensor parameters to support and elevate brands.
- Create concept sketches and renderings for presentation to the team and licensors.
- Prepare control drawings using digital programs, and/or oversee vendors in preparation of control drawings, taking engineering requirements and manufacturing into consideration.
- Manage internal and external model shops in the development of breadboards, mechanisms and prototypes.
- Conceptualize and communicate toy functions and basic electronic play patterns for simple to high-complexity toys.
- Successfully present and communicate concepts to the design and marketing management and creative departments.
- Partner with cross-functional teams and outside vendors to insure product integrity and marketing objectives.
- Work closely with Content dept. and make suggestions regarding concepts for preliminary scripts and music.
- Manage daily correspondence with Asia partners.
- Work closely with Licensors throughout entire product development process.
- Some travel required.
Experience, Education & Skills You have:
- An Innovative mindset to envision the possibilities and “what-ifs” with a fresh new perspective. You have a passion for innovative and disruptive ideas that create the future for Fisher-Price and Mattel. You are respectful of, yet unburdened by legacy and existing norms.
- Communication skills to convey confidence, ease and enthusiasm when communicating with a variety of audiences. You communicate clearly, concisely, and with impact, using the right formats and methods to promote a free flow of information.
- Speed and can act decisively and with a strong sense of urgency. You find ways to achieve business objectives more quickly and effectively. You are able to remove barriers to speed to make Fisher-Price and Mattel a more nimble business and organization.
- Portfolio demonstrating strong design excellence, forward visual thinking and superior problem solving
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator and 2D computer programs
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment
- Passion/knowledge of current trends in general as well as trends in fashion and toy.
- Skill in brainstorming and ideation with strong sketching and rendering skills.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work while maintaining quality and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with people at all levels.
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter with a proactive approach to work and the ability to work independently.
- Basic model making skills.
- BS/BA degree in Industrial Design, Toy Design or equivalent degree
- 3-5 years previous toy design experience (pre-school toy design experience highly preferred).
- Experience with licensed product is highly preferred.
- Experience with design of licensed dolls, playsets, and girl oriented toy products highly preferred
- Knowledge of Solid works or other 3D programs is beneficial.
- Knowledge of material and manufacturing process, specifically plastics and soft goods highly preferred
- Understanding of features in the consumer electronics industry and their influence in the toy industry a plus.
*Please provide a link or upload a relevant portfolio of your work#LI-MATTELJE1 About Us ABOUT USFisher-Price, Inc. is a subsidiary of Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ:MAT) with offices located in East Aurora, N.Y. and New York, N.Y. Fisher-Price is one of the most trusted brands in babygear, infant and preschool toys, and conducts business in 150 countries around the world, producing toys in more than 40 languages. Child development expertise coupled with innovation is reflected in the company’s best-known brands including Laugh & Learn®, Little People®, Power Wheels®, and Imaginext®. We’re also a leading developer of character-based toys for children’s programming such as Thomas & Friends™, Dora and Friends: Into the City!, and Jake and the Never Land Pirates. For more information, visit www.fisher-price.com (U.S.) and www.fisher-price.ca (Canada) or connect with Fisher-Price on Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.Mattel is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity EmployerF/M/Disability/Vet
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Customer Service
- Recall Information
- Toy Store Locations
Use of this site signifies your acceptance of Mattel’s Website Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement and Other Legal Information.
Throughout this website use of “Mattel” refers to Mattel, Inc. and/or one or more of its family of companies. 2014 Mattel. All Rights Reserved.